Earlier this month four young furniture professionals attended an industry experience day here at Axminster Tools & Machinery. This formed part of a three week programme The Furniture Makers’ Company put together, with the aim of giving the young professionals an insight into all aspects of the furniture industry including design, manufacture and retailing*.
The four young professionals who came to Axminster were:
- Ben Brook – customer service advisor at CD(UK)
- Sean Duffin – production manager at Andrew Muirhead & Sons
- Lisa Gould Sandall – furniture designer at Ercol
- Sam Ryan – business owner and entrepreneur at Sam Ryan Furniture
The group had already visited other companies including DFS, Parker Knoll, Ercol and Silent Night.
Focus on Lamello
Their day at Axminster focused around how we buy, market and sell Lamello. The young professionals had the chance to get to grips with a Lamello Zeta. And they saw demonstrations using both Clamex and Invis fittings.
In addition, they had a tour of the site and spent time with procurement, marketing and in the Axminster retail store. The purpose was to give them an understanding of the retail process, from buying and marketing to the sale of a product.
The whole experience so far has been both fascinating and surprising. You really don’t think about what goes on behind the scenes. I really enjoyed my day at Axminster and it was nice to be given the opportunity to get hands-on
National Design & Make Competition
During 2017/18 Axminster will be sponsoring the National Design & Make Competition. The competition is organised by The Furniture Makers’ Company for young furniture makers. It is open to those who are over 18 and in full or part time education. The design brief will ask students to design a piece of innovative, pioneering wood based furniture. The first placed winner will be awarded £1,000 Axminster gift card and one week’s work placement at Axminster. All winners will be announced at an event at The Goldsmiths’ Centre in May 2018.
Young Furniture Makers Exhibition
Axminster will also be sponsoring the Young Furniture Makers Exhibition taking place on Tuesday 10 October 2017. The exhibition gives the whole of the furnishing industry the chance to meet the rising stars of the future.
* The programme is open to aspiring young professionals and graduates who are progressing well through early employment and have aspirations of becoming future leaders of the industry. The intensive three week experience is ideal for those candidates whose employers will sponsor them, although The Furniture Makers’ Company will also consider applications from those who are currently between jobs.